Generally, a cough is always accompanied by a high fever especially in babies and toddlers. A cough is not always a medical problem but it can be an indication of another infection. Coughing is a natural reflex to clear the throat and airways. If you want to learn a home remedy for cough, it is better to learn those which would help your body release the mucus / phlegm. If the mucus is unable to go out of the body, there are possible complications. So better prevent yourself from experiencing these right away.
A severe, persistent cough or one that is accompanied by high fever, should be examined by a medical doctor. You might want to have that checked out before the infection spreads and gets worse. If the doctor has assured you that you are cleared of any serious ailment, you can go back to your home remedy for cough.
Easy and Convenient Home Remedy for Cough
Here is a list of easy and convenient home remedy for cough using items you can find in your kitchen:
- Take 1 teaspoon of pure honey and add a pinch of ground white pepper. Mix them in a container and drink this mixture 2 to 3 times a days for 4 to 5 days.
- Almonds are useful for dry coughs.
- Raw onion is a great home remedy for cough. One teaspoon of the onion juice should then be mixed with one teaspoon of honey. Store for 5 hours. Take this syrup twice daily. Honey (1tsp) can be added for taste. Take it 2 – 3 times a day.
- Drink lots of fluids such as water and juices. This would help you release the mucus stuck in your lungs and air passages.
- Turn on the humidifier. Dry cough is generally caused by dry air. Humidity prevents respiratory tract infections. If you don’t have a humidifier, place a bowl of hot water in front of your heat vents. When water heats, it puts moisture into the air.
- Hot Tea - Tea can sooth your throat naturally. Add a little honey and lemon for taste. Honey can also act as coating to your throat.
Home Remedy for Cough with Fever
If you have fever along with your cough, here is a list of easy home remedy for cough you can try:
- Sponge yourself with tepid water. Or, bathe in cool water (not ice cold water) for 30 minutes.
- Cream of tartar. Mix ½ tsp of lemon juice, 1 ½ tsp of tartar cream, 2 1/2 cups of warm water and 1/2 tsp honey.
- Pineapple. Raw pineapple or pineapple juice. Pineapple is rich in juice, which prevents dehydration.
- Raisins. Prepare about half a cup of chopped raisins and mix it with 7 1/2 cups of water. Boil the mixture and let it simmer until you see the water reduced to one-third. Drink a little of this several times a day to keep yourself hydrated during a fever.
- Fruit juice. It will replace the fluids lost through sweating.
The home remedy for cough methods presented here should be able to relieve your throat of the discomfort.